Monday, November 5, 2018

Prospective College President - 10/3/2018

Prospective College President

If you've been following our Genesis project, you know we have been looking for several years for a new leader to take the helm in guiding our vision for Genesis College. One prospective leader has risen to the top, and will be visiting Osaka next week, along with his wife.

Please be in prayer for them, and for us, as we meet with them and seek the Lord's leading whether this is the person God has chosen to lead us in the development of a college for the purpose of reaching young people with the hope of the gospel.

It has been a long and arduous journey, serving in Osaka following the departure of our original leader and visionary. Many people questioned whether it was time to give up on the vision for Genesis College; I had my doubts occasionally as well. In many ways, the "college" has been in hibernation mode these last years. During that time, we've had seven missionaries join our team, occupying themselves for future ministry through language study or church planting internships. Now that we are beginning to see some proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, we are sensing renewed hope for this vision that God has given us to reach young people with the hope of the gospel!



Coming to America

As of August 31, I have been in Osaka for four years! That means it's time for my HMA, or "Home Missionary Assignment" (sometimes known as "missionary furlough").

What is HMA? It is:
  • Reporting to my supporters on the work that God is doing in Osaka.
  • Advocating for the work of missions around the world.
  • Recruiting new missionaries.
  • Raising up any additional financial supporters as needed.
  • Rest & Relaxation from life overseas (although most missionaries would tell you that HMA can be exhausting due to extensive travel, speaking engagements, and the lack of a "permanent" home that is our's).
  • Reconnecting with family and friends.
  • Required by the US government, as I would lose my Social Security benefits due to living full-time overseas.
I will be basing myself primarily in Iowa, this HMA, staying with my mom. However I will be doing a lot of travel, reporting to my supporters and recruiting teachers and staff for Genesis College. I will spend the winter/spring missions conference season in Jackson, MS.

I have a number of church visits scheduled already, in Iowa and Mississippi. If your church would like to hear about what God is doing in Osaka through Genesis International College, please let me know; I'd love to schedule a visit!



Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and financial support -- partnering with me in bringing the hope of the gospel to the people of Japan!


Events/Travel:

October 26
Return to the States for "Home Missionary Assignment"

November 4
Hospers PCA Missions Conference; Hospers, IA

February 17-24, 2019
Highlands PCA Missions Festival; Ridgeland, MS

February 22-24, 2019
Redeemer PCA Missions Conference; Jackson, MS

March 1-3, 2019
Bay Street PCA Missions Conference; Hattiesburg, MS

March 29-31, 2019
Trinity PCA Missions Conference; Jackson, MS



Prayer Points

Pray for our visit with our prospective Genesis College leader. Pray that God will guide us in this critical decision.

Pray for all the work I must do before leaving for the States at the end of October. Pray that I leave well, have prepared people well for my absence, and pray for my HMA time in the States.

Praise God for a good trip to Thailand recently. I had MTW leadership meetings in Bangkok, so I took a few extra days before and after to visit both the Thai mountains and the Thai beaches. The meetings were very helpful, and the extra days were good for me as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment